Public high schools across Ontario will close for a one-day strike on Wednesday, December 4.
Our Sisters and Brothers in the Ontario Secondary School Teachers Federation (OSSTF) are escalating their fight at the bargaining table to reverse the cuts made by Ontario Premier Doug Ford.
Teachers are taking job action to:
- Stop massive increases to class sizes
- Stop the mandatory e-learning plan
- Restore supports that students need at school to thrive
Education matters to ATU Local 113 members. Our children and grandchildren will be hurt by the cuts to school budgets. Many neighbours, family and friends working in education will lose their jobs and pay if the Ford plan is not stopped.
Teachers stood with ATU Local 113 in our action against the TTC Subway upload. Now we need to show our solidarity with our best allies in defending quality, well-funded public education.
What can you do?
- Talk to the parents and teachers in your school. Find out if there are any school-based actions you can participate in.
- Put pressure on the Progressive Conservative government to settle by emailing or tweeting the Minister of Education, Stephen Lecce. Tell him take the cuts to our schools off the table, settle a fair contract for teachers, education workers and our kids NOW!!! Call 647-560-9700; Email: email@example.com; Tweet: @Sflecce.
- Sign up at the Ontario Parents for Public Education https://linktr.ee/schoolwalkins to access resources, including a “Solidarity Kit” that can be downloaded or requested by post. Be sure to let them know that you are from ATU Local 113 when you sign up.
- Join the Ontario Parent Action Network rally at the Sheraton Hotel (123 Queen Street West, Toronto) on Tuesday December 3, from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m. Parents will be there to support OSSTF negotiators, with pizza and a strong, unified message for Minister Lecce and Premier Doug Ford. https://www.facebook.com/events/485803785369249/
- Join OSSTF at Queen’s Park or Premier Doug Ford’s office between 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, December 4.
- Join the picket at the following locations and times on Wednesday, December 4.
- 1 Civic Court Centre, Etobicoke (TDSB office) – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 140 Borough Drive, Scarborough (TDSB office) – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 5050 Yonge Street, North York (TDSB office) – 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- 2220 King Rd, #1, King City (Stephen Lecce’s office) – 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
- All high schools and adult education centres in Toronto and York Region – daytime pickets
- Honk or ring from your cars, or buses and streetcars you operate going by picket lines.
- Wear red and/or black clothing as a symbol of solidarity.
- Organize a team to take flyers to local public spaces and give them out.
- Send an email to your MPP, the Minister of Education and Doug Ford decrying the cuts to education and demanding a negotiated settlement that protects publicly funded education and provides a fair settlement for its workers.
- Share your support for teachers and education workers on your social media accounts.
Thank you for your support!