ATU Local 113 is demanding the Toronto Transit Commission’s Chief Executive Officer Rick Leary protect Toronto’s public transit system by opposing Premier Doug Ford’s reckless subway upload. This comes as public transit workers and riders rallied together at TTC headquarters at Yonge and Davisville on Friday, May 10 against the scheme – an event Mr. Leary had previously agreed to speak at, later failing to attend. You can watch the full program on CP24, where it was broadcasted live.
ATU Local 113 President Carlos Santos alongside public transit riders and workers calling on TTC CEO Rick Leary to protect Toronto’s public transit system by opposing Ford’s reckless subway upload scheme (TTC Headquarters at Davisville Station, May 10, 2019)
“The PC government’s misguided ‘Getting Ontario Moving Act’ is only at second reading and if Mr. Leary joined with TTC riders and workers – we could apply more pressure on the provincial government to stop it and protect our public transit system,” said Carlos Santos, ATU Local 113 President. “When his workers and riders need his leadership most, they’re left asking: where is Rick Leary?”
The provincial government recently announced its failed transit vision for Toronto, scrapping projects like the Waterfront and Scarborough’s Eglinton East LRT while cutting a scheduled gas tax increase – $1.1 billion now gone that was already allocated by Mayor John Tory for the State of Good Repair for the system.
“It should be a no brainer for Mr. Leary,” said Carlos Santos. “If Premier Ford’s cuts to maintenance of the system isn’t worrying enough – cancelling projects ready to build should do it.” He adds, “TTC riders and workers are united against privatizing our public transit system – like we’ve seen with the Eglinton Crosstown and Metrolinx’s GO system – because it’ll mean higher fares and reduced service for riders.”
ATU Local 113 encourages all Torontonians who want to protect our public transit system to join the fight to stop the subway upload and keep transit public.