There is a lot at stake with the Ontario election: The Liberals and Ontario PC’s appear to favour contracting out and privatization, which threatens our job security and the transit system we have been proud to operate and maintain for 119 years. ATU Local 113 is clear: privatizing our public goods means profit for private companies on the backs of taxpayers while projects take longer to complete, cost more and deliver less for the public.
In support of the Keep Transit Public campaign, our Sisters and Brothers have gone riding-by-riding asking candidates to sign a pledge to Keep Transit Public should they be elected to office.
The pledge asks candidates of all parties to commit to:
- Provide support and advocate that the TTC will operate and maintain all existing and future LRT, subway, bus, WheelTrans, streetcar, SRT and related services with a view to returning services to the TTC where they have been contracted out.
- Support existing and future transit development that is publicly funded, owned, operated and maintained by the TTC.
- Reject utilizing the P3 (Public Private Partnerships) model for future transit development in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area.
- Reject the “contracting-out” of public transit services.
- Reject the provincial uploading of transit assets.
You can find the most updated list of candidates who signed the pledge below. There is too much at stake this election to wait and see. Make sure to vote for public transit on June 7. Find out where you vote here.