ATU Local 113 secured additional health protections for its members today, including the choice to wear protective masks on the job. The TTC also announced all-door boarding to avoid overcrowding at TTC vehicle entrances. These policy changes come after ATU Local 113’s strong and persistent demands for the TTC to do everything it can to provide a safe and healthy work environment.
Here are the safety measures and policy changes we can confirm today:
- The choice to wear protective face masks giving workers the right to protect themselves. The TTC’s policy change comes after a weeks-long campaign by ATU Local 113 to demand the right for members to protect their health by wearing a mask.
- All-door boarding on TTC vehicles to help avoid overcrowding at entrances and provide safe distancing for TTC workers and riders.
- Fare collectors and CSA’s can remain in booths for as long as they wish for any health and safety concerns.
- 100 per cent pay if members must go into 14-day quarantine or self-isolation (assessed on a case-by-case basis).
- No medical notes required for sick days up to and including March 31, 2020 to lessen the burden on Ontario’s health care system.
- Reassurance that all members will receive the standard 75 per cent sick pay if unwell, and increased workplace cleaning and disinfection processes where needed.
- Increased maximum weekly hours up to 64 hours to ensure maintenance workers can provide additional cleaning and disinfection to TTC vehicles.
As most people stay indoors, Toronto’s 12,000 hardworking, dedicated and resilient public transit workers are operating and maintaining the TTC system so people, including health care workers, are getting to places across the city during this coronavirus pandemic.
Your health and safety is our top priority. We’ve just launched a webpage for members to continue receiving important updates on the coronavirus outbreak at https://wemovetoronto.ca/coronavirus/.
Please visit wemovetoronto.ca/coronavirus regularly for updates and to learn how ATU Local 113 is helping to keep members safe.