TORONTO - A number of provincial highway and transit projects will begin or are already underway in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton area this year.
As well, there are plans to build a number of High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes in major highways around Toronto.
The Ontario government has announced that it intends to establish a system of High Occupancy Toll (HOT) lanes that will be free only to those vehicles with multiple occupants.
It begins with a QEW HOT pilot this summer, and Hwy. 427 follows.
Premier Kathleen Wynne has said that spending on infrastructure — to be funded in part by HOT lanes — will create jobs, stimulate the economy, and ease gridlock.
Here are some of the projects underway around the GTA:
* Hwy. 401: Widen for HOV lane from Credit River Bridge to Hwys. 401/403/410.
* Hwy. 410: ($156.7 million) Widen for HOV lane from south of Hwy. 401 to Queen St. in Mississauga and Brampton.
* Hwy. 427: ($82.8 million) Widen for HOV lane in each direction and rehabilitation of underpass structures.
* Hwy. 400: ($77.6 million) Pavement and culvert rehabilitation, median barrier reconstruction from north of Canel Rd. to Innisfil Beach Rd.
* Hwy. 401: ($90.4 million) Bridge replacement and widening across Milton.
* Hwys. 401/404 and DVP: ($23.6 million) Rehabilitate four bridge structures, resurface from east of Warden Ave. to west of Leslie St.
* Hwy. 401: ($51 million) Rehabilitate bridges, lanes and construct additional lane between Dufferin St. and Avenue Rd.
* Aberfoyle Bus Facility: Being expanded.
* Ajax GO Station: Pedestrian bridge under construction.
* Barrie GO line: Double track expansion from York University to just north of Rutherford Dr., signalling system.
* Bermondsey Crosstown Stop: Study, preliminary design.
* Birchmount Crosstown Stop: Study, preliminary design.
* Bramalea GO station: Snowmelt system under construction.
* Brock Rd./Hwy. 407 Park and Ride: Under construction.
* Bronte GO Station: Platform construction and parking expansion.
* Burlington GO Station: New building.
* Eglinton Crosstown: Along with the Crosstown line, construction of the stations is underway including Avenue Crosstown Station, Bathurst Crosstown Station, Bayview Crosstown Station, Caledonia Crosstown Station, Chaplin Crosstown Station, Don Mills Crosstown Station, Dufferin Crosstown Station, Eglinton West Crosstown Station, Kennedy Crosstown Station, Mount Dennis Crosstown Station, Oakwood Crosstown Station, Pharmacy Crosstown Stop, Yonge-Eglinton Crosstown Station
* Finch West LRT: Study, preliminary design.
* Gormley GO Station: Under construction.
* Guildwood GO Station: Building rehabilitation.
* Mississauga Transitway: Under construction.
* Oshawa GO Station: New building.
* Spadina subway extension, Downsview Park TTC/GO Station, Finch West Station, Hwy. 407 Station/GO Bus Terminal, Pioneer Village Station, Vaughan Station, York University Station all under construction.
* Square One GO Bus Terminal: Building under construction.
* Union Station: Signal system replacement, general revitalization.
* Viva BRT: Improvements under construction.